Friday, July 21, 2006

Very Best Advice....

I've been married 4 times. I have 4 children, 2 from my first husband, 1 from my 3rd and 1 from a man I never married but was together with for over 10 years (my 17 year old daughters father). To say I'm not very good at taking advice would be a gargantuan(sp?) understatement! Let me just say this, I like to learn things the hard way. Truthfully, it has been my children who have paid the price. I look at them with amazement and a gratefulness to God for making them turn out as the incredibly wonderful people that they are. God's grace is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful thing. Having said that, maybe it explains why I think the best advice I ever got isn't so great really, but it did help me along the way. It came from the very first Alien movie (I know, gotta chuckle on that one... anyhoo... there's a scene in the movie where they are being attacked by the aliens and one of them says, "We can't afford to let even ONE of them get in here!" Well, I have heard that comment going around in my head ever since... "pay the bills, can't afford to even have one of those bill collectors get in here!"..-- Ok, so I've confessed my most shameful life choices and spoke of aliens all in the same paragraph, how scary is that?! Now giving advice, Oh in retrospect I'm probably worth a fortune in all the things "NOT" to do! If given the choice though, I can't imagine changing anything about my life if it meant altering anything about my children.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Fantastic advice! I love what you had to say about grace...none of us get what we deserve because of God's grace. Thanks for the reminder.

heather said...

4 times?? Maybe you were just trying the find the right *one*, and you wouldn't be with him now if you'd stayed married to the others!!

loonyhiker said...

You keep saying how wonderful your kids are but I truly believe they wouldn't be that way if it wasn't for the person you are. You have taught them values and how to do what is right and how to live with the consequences (you are a true example of this). Thanks for sharing.