Thursday, August 03, 2006

Places of My Life

If you could tell the story of your life by taking someone to a half dozen places, where would you go?

The first place I'd take you is to my Grandparents house's (both on my Dad's and Mother's side) to meet them. First thing you'd find is a warm welcoming handshake from the most kind hearted people, rich conversation and laughter and loads of comfort foods being offered to you until they thought you could stand no more. Love my Mom and Dad, but it was my Grandparents who provided me with the unconditional love and attention that I needed to validate that I am a person worthy of concern. I miss them very much and thank them for being such wonderful Grandparent role models. I pray I do half as good a job when my turn comes as they did.

Next place we would go is to the beach. Anytime there has been real trouble in my life I have ran for the water. Standing there at the waters edge, hearing the sound of the waves, seeing the constant motion and the vastness of nature, it has always provided me with the knowledge that life is as God intended and the world is a beautiful place.

My children's worlds would be next. They are my life. If you wanted to see the story of my life, it is there in them. Football fields, swimming pools, teacher conferences, countless playgrounds, the dinner table at suppertime, in the car singing to music, packing and moving a zillion times, hollering at them for things they should have or should not have done, countless hours watching scary movies together, playing and loving the many pets. Through every tears and all the laughter, they are who I am.

A courtroom in the PG County Courthouse. That courthouse was witness to 2+ years of hell. It was a place where life decisions were made. Where battles were waged, lost and ultimately won. That experience profoundly changed who I am today.

And finally, I would bring you to our home to meet my husband. We would have a barbeque and you would find out why I fell in love and married him. He would offer to drag you down to the pier to do a little fishing and he would try to cater to your every need. If it meant singing you a little rock n-roll, doing a little silly dancing, he'd be doing it. If you're nice back, he might even fix your car :)

I thank God every day for my life...

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful entry! I loved it and loved the part of if you look at your children you will see your life. So touching! I agree too. I loved the way you "invited" me on your tour, I could imagine everything you said!

Bonnie said...

hee hee, I just got your post on my blog! Don't worry, I laughed and did know what you meant! The place I live now is 1000km and 16 hours away from the "little dreadful place" I used to live, and it is stunning! Am going to see if blogger will co operate now, go look just now for more photos!

Unknown said...

Wonderful post. I loved traveling with you through the various phases of your life. And your dh needs to meet my dh. They would get along famously.

Glynis said...

Wonderful wonderful post, Debra!

loonyhiker said...

Your grandparents sounded like wonderful people. It is amazing how grandparents are so different than parents. I was a totally different person as a grandparent than as a parent. Glad you had such a wonderful experience.

heather said...

What a wonderfully written entry Debra, I really got an insight into your life experiences and how you feel about life.